Caring and Health Ministries
God’s healing presence be with you
The purpose of Health Ministries at St. Andrew is to assist both congregational members and the community to care for themselves and one another in an effort to attain, maintain, and/or regain their highest possible level of health and wellness which integrates body, mind and spirit.
The mission of the Health Ministry Team is to intentionally integrate the practice of faith with the practices of health professionals for the purpose of achieving wholeness in the community of faith.
Health Ministry Team
The St. Andrew Health Ministry Team is led by the Parish Nurses in collaboration with Pastor Robyn Hartwig and other trained Health Ministers. The team may include other pastors or staff, health professionals, and lay members who combine their knowledge and experience to support, guide, and contribute to the ministry.
Parish Nurses are Registered Nurses who have taken the basic parish nurse course and who lead and/or collaborate with the Health Ministry Team at St. Andrew.
Health Ministers are persons (other than an RN) who have completed the coursework for Parish Nurses and adds a different health profession to the Health Ministry Team.
Consultations with a parish nurse or health minister may be recommended by a pastor or initiated directly by the individual. Health care information and your discussions with the Caring and Health Ministry Team are kept confidential as is appropriate. Health ministers consult with the pastors as necessary.
Functions of the Parish Nurse/Health Minister may include:
- Health educator - conduct individual or group educational sessions that are based on the needs of the congregation or the individual.
- Integrator of faith and health - offer spiritual care and assessment.
- Personal health counselor - listen to individual needs and make hospital, home and nursing home visits as appropriate in consultation with the pastors.
- Referral agent - provide information about, and promote use of, community resources.
- Facilitator of volunteers - recruit and coordinate volunteers to serve in various health ministry initiatives.
- Developer of support groups - facilitate the development of groups on health related topics for those from the congregation and community who may be interested.
- Health Advocate - will support and provide what is in the best interest of the individual or the community, when choices or access to care seem limited.
To contact a Parish Nurse or Health Minister,
please call the church office at 503.646.0629 or
email the church office at
Support of the Caring and Health Ministry Team
All services provided by the Caring and Health Ministry Team are available at no cost to St. Andrew members and others. The program is self-supporting due to the generosity of St. Andrew members in terms of time, talent, and treasures. A variety of health professionals volunteer in providing education and consultations. The Marge Mack Memorial Fund defrays the costs of the program, including the training of Parish Nurses and Health Ministers. Donations to this Designated Fund are welcome.